- http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7334-0132Mathieu Boutonnet1,2,
- Widad Benbrika1,
- Julia Facione2,3,
- Stéphane Travers2,4,
- Guillaume Boddaert1,2,
- Marie-Dominique Colas1,2,
- Emmanuel Hornez1,2,
- Laurent Mathieu1,2,
- Stanislas de Régloix5,
- Jean-Louis Daban1,
- Thomas Leclerc1,2,
- Pierre Pasquier1,2,
- Sylvain Ausset2,6
- 1 Intensive Care Unit, Hôpital d'Instruction des Armées Percy, Clamart, France
- 2 Anesthesiology, Intensive Care and Emergency Applicated to the Military Forces, Ecole du Val-de-Grace, Paris, France
- 3 Rehabilitation, Hôpital d'Instruction des Armées Percy, Clamart, France
- 4 Medical Departement, French Military Health Service, Villacoublay, Île-de-France, France
- 5 Head and Neck Surgery Department, Hôpital d'Instruction des Armées Laveran, Marseille, France
- 6 School Direction, Ecole de Santé des Armées, Lyon, France
- Correspondence to Professor Mathieu Boutonnet, Hôpital d'Instruction des Armées Percy, Clamart, France;
The aim of this paper was to describe the development of ‘Traum’cast’, an ambitious project to create a high-quality, open-access, 12-week video podcast programme providing evidence-based continuing medical education for civilian and military healthcare practitioners dedicated to the management of trauma caused by weapons of war. The management of such patients became a particular public health issue in France following the 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris, which highlighted the need for all healthcare professionals to have appropriate knowledge and training in such situations. In 2016, the French Health General Direction asked the French Military Medical Service (FMMS) to create a task force and to use its unique and considerable experience to produce high-quality educational material on key themes including war injuries, combat casualty care, triage, damage control surgery, transfusion strategies, psychological injury and rehabilitation. The material was produced by FMMS and first broadcast in French and for free, on the official FMMS YouTube channel in September 2020. Traum’cast provides evidence-based continuing medical education for civilian and military healthcare practitioners. Traum’cast is an educational innovation that meets a public health requirement.
- critical care
- massive open online course
- medical education
- damage control resuscitation
Data availability statement
No data are available. All relevant data are included in the text.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
Contributors MB, WB, JF, TS, GB, M-DC, EH, LM, SdR, J-LD, TL, PP and SA contributed to the creation of the podcast described in the manuscript. MB wrote the first draft of the manuscript, collected the corrections and revised the manuscript; as guarantor, he was responsible for the overall content. All authors read the manuscript, proposed corrections and approved the final version before submission.
Funding The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests None declared.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.